I decided this is the best time of all to start a blog...Kyle just got his learners permit and it's not every day that you have the opportunity to spend 2 bliss filled hours at the DMV.
Kyle has been asking since February if we can get his learners permit. Unfortunately/fortunately we haven't been able to get his permit because of other more pressing matters. Today, however, was the perfect opportunity to acquire said permit. I checked Kyle out of school, only 15 minutes early, waking him from his nap in seminary (yes, he was fast asleep in seminary, he had to be shaken awake....I'm so proud), and we headed down to the DMV.
We brought the required forms of I.D. and started filling out the application, where I noticed that it asked for the "mothers maiden name", now for most people this would not be an issue, however, I realized that even though in every other sense of the word I am Kyle's "mom"....I'm not his "mother", so we wrote down his mothers maiden name. This got me thinking that I probably should ask if I am allowed to sign for his learners permit.....just so every other "step mom" or "step dad" knows, we are not allowed to sign for a learner permit, or drivers licence. Kyle was very disappointed. However, to make a long story short (too late, I know), Bret was close to 800 North and was able to come down and sign for Kyle to get his learners permit. Whew! Close call.
Once Kyle obtained his permit, the next thing out of his mouth was "Can I drive home?" To which I responded with a polite "nope". Are you kidding me??? He has only driven home from church, now he wants to drive on the freeway, he has played far to many video games where the object is to crash or dodge police cars. However once we were on SR 73, I let him drive the rest of the way home...thinking about it now, SR 73 is probably more dangerous then the freeway, but we made it home without any close calls.
On a side note.....I am terrified to have a teenager that can drive, not only am I NOT old enough to have a teenager who can drive, but I'm NOT brave enough either.
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Learners Permit?!?!?!? Already?!?!?
Posted by Paula at 3:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Don't worry Brady survived a year of teaching kids to drive...however Kyle's another story!
Hey Kyle, good luck with your driving test in a few months. Just so you know, Josh and I both had to take the test more than once to pass, I won't go into detail about the exact number of times. Just remember to bug your parents all the time to take you driving, or else you could fail your test like Lora and become as good a driver as Josh. ha ha
Post a Comment